Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggestion: Online Multiplayer

2 posters

:: N++ :: General

Go down

Suggestion: Online Multiplayer Empty Suggestion: Online Multiplayer

Post by Nahoj 21/9/2015, 17:18

First, some backstory about online multiplayer in N++:

So, many people would like to see multiplayer Co-op in N++, some of them even assumed it would be in the game at launch.
Unfortunately, Metanet has got a team of only 3 and had a limited amount of time/money to invest into this game.

They decided to invest this time and money into the userlevel sharing feature, instead of the online Co-op (good idea, imo).
Metanet later did mention that, if everything goes well, they might add it in at a later point, even though it is quite unlikely.

But, they also stated that there is one issue that would be a problem to figure out: the delay between multiple players' screens a.k.a. lag.
Since N++ is such a fast-paced and precise game, lag would definitely be a problem when playing a Co-op match.

-------------

I was trying to find a solution for this problem by looking at fundamentally similar games, Trials Fusion for example.
Trials Fusion has got a multiplayer gamemode in which players compete against eachother. In case you have never played it, it's kind of like this:
- Players join a lobby.
- Match starts when the lobby is full.
- Game shows "3, 2, 1, Go!" countdown.
- Players try to get to the finish as fast as possible. With as few deaths as possible.
- Players cannot collide into eachother.
- Player with best score to fewest deaths ratio wins.

Why not implement a similar system into N++?
Personally, I would prefer this over Co-op. Plus, there won't be any issues with lag since other players would be shown as ghost-like ninjas and would not affect your on-screen level.

I have no idea how difficult it is to develop something like this. But I definitely would love to see this being added to the game. Just thought I should share this.

What do you think?

Nahoj

Back to top Go down

Suggestion: Online Multiplayer Empty Re: Suggestion: Online Multiplayer

Post by raigan 24/9/2015, 17:40

This is interesting -- one problem is that in N++, the players *do* interact. They might not collide, but they interact indirectly, eg enemies chase the closest player, bounceblocks cause indirect physical interaction, etc.

The result is that we can't really do a clean "no interaction" sort of multiplayer, which is what makes it so hard/complicated :/

raigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nahoj 24/9/2015, 17:45

raigan wrote:This is interesting -- one problem is that in N++, the players *do* interact. They might not collide, but they interact indirectly, eg enemies chase the closest player, bounceblocks cause indirect physical interaction, etc.

The result is that we can't really do a clean "no interaction" sort of multiplayer, which is what makes it so hard/complicated :/

I know, I know, but that's race mode.
Please read my comments on reddit (I linked to this forum post).

https://www.reddit.com/r/nplusplus/comments/3ltd14/online_multiplayer/

Nahoj

Back to top Go down

Post by raigan 25/9/2015, 00:14

I guess we just don't think racing against "ghosts" is as fun as actually interacting in the same space... *nothing* is more satisfying than getting a gauss or rocket that's targeting you to shoot one of your opponents instead Wink

raigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down